In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, we have provided the following links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care. We will update this page frequently, and would love to hear your ideas on links that you would like to see us add to this page to share with other pet owners. Feel free to send us your favorites. If we like them, we will add them to our list!
- Choosing a Puppy
This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider when you are thinking about getting a puppy.
- Breeds of Dogs
A quick reference guide to many breeds of dogs, including photos and brief descriptions of each breed's characteristics.
- Heartworm Society
Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- The Pet Web Library
A useful guide to common pet health issues. A wonderful resource for the most common topics in veterinary health care!
- Pet Food Recalls
Keep track of dog food recalls as they are announced! Very useful resource in an area where even the local news can't keep up.
- Behavior problems
Founded by Brian Kilcommons and Sharon Wilson, best-selling authors and recognized experts on animal training and behavior, this site is a terrific resource for advice on a variety of behavioral problems. If you want to learn more about feline housesoiling, barking dogs, aggression, or any other behavioral problem, check this one out!
- National Animal Poison Control Center
This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.
- Plants Toxic to Dogs & Cats
A fairly comprehensive list of the most common poisonous plants
- Raw Food Diets Read the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine position statement before feeding raw food to your pet!
- The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA)
The Cat Fanciers' Association website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
- American Association of Feline Practitioners
The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has lots of good information regarding feline health.
- Radiocat The sole purpose of the Radiocat facilities is the radioiodine treatment of feline hyperthyroidism. Their website answers most questions about this typically permanent therapy.
- Healthy Mouth
The Healthy Mouth line of oral hygiene products has been shown to reduce gingivitis and periodontal disease in dogs and cats. Most of these products are added to the pet's drinking water.
- USDA / APHIS Website
The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest requirements for health certificates and international travel with your pet.
- Advantage Flea Control
This site is sponsored by Bayer Animal Health, the makers of new K9 Advantix for dogs and Advantage flea control for dogs and cats. It is loaded with information about fleas and flea control.
- Novartis Animal Health
This site is sponsored by Novartis, the makers of Sentinel, Interceptor and Program, and has useful information on heartworm prevention and flea control for pet owners.
- Heartgard Plus Learn about heartworm disease and the #1 (and most palatable) heartworm preventative for dogs.
- Frontline Tritak by Merial
Sponsored by the makers of Frontline Tritak for flea and tick control, this site has basic information about fleas and ticks as well as Tritak questions and answers.
- NexGard Check out this very safe and effective oral flea and tick product for dogs.
- Rainbow Bridge
Anyone who has ever lost a pet should visit this wonderful site. It is a terrific tribute to our lost family members.
- Association of Pet Loss & Bereavement
We have all experienced the pain of losing a pet. The Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement has set up this site for support during this most difficult time. You will find inspirational stories, grief counseling resources, hotline number and many other resources.
- Ebola Virus Keep tabs on the latest Ebola Virus information from the Centers for Disease Control.
- West Nile Virus
This site is maintained by the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, and has the latest information on the spread of West Nile Virus in the US, as well as information on disease transmission, symptoms, etc.
- Veterinary Schools in the US
This is a great link to all of the websites of veterinary schools in the United States.
- Veterinary Information NetworkVIN is the world's first and largest online veterinary community. Check out VeterinaryPartner.com at the top of the home page!